Powered by Blogger.

Hummingbird Bakery Caramel Cupcakes

I baked these delicious little cupcakes today, the recipe is from the new Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook called Cake Days.  I suggest anyone that loves baking to go out and buy this immediately as it has some really  tasty little treats in it.  I pre-ordered mine from Amazon.

Makes 12 - 16 cupcakes

What you will need
For the Sponge

80g unsalted butter softened 
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
240ml whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
150g tinned caramel or dulce de leche

For the Frosting

500g icing sugar
160g unsulted butter
50ml whole milk
100g tinned caramel or dulce de lech plus extra to decorate

1.  Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F). Gas mark 5 and line a muffin tin with muffin cases
2.  Using a hand-held electric whisk or a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment, whisk together the butter, sugar , flour, baking power and salt on a low speed until crumb-like in consistency.


3.  Place the milk and vanilla essence in a jug with the eggs and whisk by hand until combined.  Pour three quarters of this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together on a slow speed, then increase the speed to medium and keep beating until smooth and thick.  Scrape down sides of the bowl, then add the remaining milk mixture and the tinned caramel and continue to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.


4.  Divide the batter between the muffin cases (I used these snazzy animal print ones from Morrisons), filling each by two-thirds.  Any remaining batter can be used to fill one to four more cases in a separate tin (believe me there will be loads left over, I made 20 with this mix).  Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until well risen and springy to touch.  Leave to cool for a while in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool down fully while you make the frosting.



5.  Using the electric whisk or freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the icing sugar with the butter on a low speed until combined and still powdery in texture.  Slowly mix in the milk, and once it is incorporated, increase the speed to high and whisk until light and fluffy.  Add the caramel and beat in well.

6.  Spoon the frosting on to the cupcakes once they have cooled, smoothing it on with a palette knife and swirling the frosting.  If you want to decorate the cakes, spoon some tinned caramel or dulce de leche into a piping bag with a small nozzle and pipe on to the cakes in little hearts, or whatever shape takes your fancy.




Now the bad news is I have to eat them all haha!!!

Keep Smiling
xxx

11 comments

  1. I have the Hummingbird Bakery book! :D
    The muffins looks so yummy & I'm loving the muffin cases!!
    The pics are amazing btw! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum... you poor thing having to wade through those ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sriya - Thank you. The cases are cool arent they.
    @Lollipop - lol, hubby comes back from work tomorrow so I'm sure he will give me hand to eat them haha. I want to see your maple and pecan layer cake, pics please!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG These animal print muffin cases are too cute! Thanks for the recipe, looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  5. am obsessed with this book at the min! Today made the Mini Mojito cupcakes and the choc woopies. Cute muffin cases! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cupcakes look so tasty, the Hummingbird Bakery recipe is the best one i've tried :)
    Really want to get my hands on the new book, I had a flick through it in Waterstones today but I thought i'd order it online for a bit cheaper! I love your cupcake cases too, I keep meaning to get some but I never seem to go to Morrisons! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look delicious and i love the muffin cases. =)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look so tasty! I really want to try them out now! xxxx
    The cases are so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look amazing! we have these cases at home too, they're adorable!xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm... You meant 1 tsp? Because when i put 1tbsp, the whole thing like rose crazily after baking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope it's defo 1 tbsp, just checked my book. I do find their quantities rather excessive though x

      Delete

I love reading your comments ♥

awin