Powered by Blogger.

tips for preggos

My wonderful sister took some bump snaps for us last Thursday.  I am absolutely delighted with how they turned out and can't wait to get them printed and up on my photo wall.

We are so close to meeting our little belly dancing babe now, the anticipation is building somewhat.  I'm 37 weeks on Wednesday which they class as full term.  I've been really fortunate to have a very straight forward pregnancy and wanted to share a few little things that I learnt along the way which have helped me (This is based on my own experience so may not work for everyone).

✿ Folic Acid - Start taking folic acid as soon as you find out you are pregnant.  Even better, if you are planning a pregnancy you can start taking it before you even conceive.  I took it for 4 months before.  Taking 400mcg a day can reduce the risks of spinal problems in your baby like Spina Bifida. 
✿ Eat for YOU not for TWO -  The saying "eating for two" is actually a load of rubbish, you actually only need something like 300 more calories a day during the second half of your pregnancy.  I also found eating little and often really helped and snacked on cereal bars and fruit throughout the day.  A lot of mums-to-be suffer from morning sickness in the first trimester, I was super lucky in that department but if you do suffer from sickness ginger is a winner apparently. 
✿ Keep active - I kept active by swimming once a week and daily walks with my dog.  I also started pregnancy yoga at 20 weeks which is quite frankly the best thing I EVER did, just interacting with other mums-to-be and learning breathing/calming techniques has been fantastic.   
✿ Research EVERYTHING -  Pregnancy books/magazines/TV programmes etc.. are all full of brilliant information.  I really enjoyed reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Baby Whisperer, also One Born Every Minute is a great programme to watch to prepare you for birth. You can never have enough information. Knowledge is Power!!! Also do your research when it comes to buying your pram/cot/car seat etc... You can find some real bargains online and some highstreet stores have a price match guarantee (we saved an absolute fortune doing this through Mothercare). 
✿ Stretch Mark Creams - Apply an oil or cream to your ever expanding bump and breasts to try and keep those nasty stretch marks at bay.  Whether they work or not is debatable but there is no harm in trying.  I've tried every cream going, my favourites include Mama Mio Tummy Rub, Neal's Yard Mother Balm and Body Shop Vitamin E Body Butter
✿ Sleep - Stock up on your sleep and enjoy those lie-ins as they will soon be a thing of the past.  I have had a few nights of reduced sleep over the last few weeks mainly due to restless leg syndrome and just plain being uncomfortable.  If you do suffer from sleepless nights, putting pillows under your knees and bump may help.  I recommend the dream genii which can be doubled up as a breast feeding pillow.
✿ Pregnancy Journal - Keeping a journal of your pregnancy is great to look back on and reminisce, fill it with your thoughts, feelings and bump pictures. 
✿ Naming the baby - This is a biggy for husband and I.  We have put so much thought into what to name our babe.  Pick a name that you both love and try not to be influenced by others. Dylan and I have kept our name choices to ourselves and will announce the name to everyone on the day it is born.  Just remember a name is for LIFE so choose wisely.  
✿ Maternity Clothes - You don't need to spend a fortune on maternity clothing.  I literally bought 3 tops and that is it!  Leggings are your friend, as are long vest tops and elastic bands which can be used on your regular jeans/trousers to make extra stretchy!
✿ RELAX - Lastly try to stay calm and relaxed.  A happy mummy means a happy baby.  

Keep Smiling
xxx

15 comments

  1. You look fantastic! I love bump photos, they're so cute :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look incredible in that photo :) truly glowing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! The photo is so lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not pregnant or planning to be :P but I found this so sweet. I normally hate preggo's post. So boring for the not in waiting let's say but I liked this one :)
    All the best and breath in and breath out!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so beautiful and happy!:) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this really interesting. I am not pregnant but am getting married in a few months and then we may start thinking about a little one either this year or next. Great tips! xx ps, lovely photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. really inspiring and soooo exciting!! I'm just trying for a ickle one so will refer back to this. Thankyou xx
    You look really fab & glowing in your pic x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww that picture is gorgeous! great tips for the pregnant ladies!

    dp
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunning picture :)
    Those tips you have given are amazing, even though I am WAY off of having a baby anytime soon but I shall keep them in mind for sure :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very far away from having a baby, but these are great tips. You look amazing in that picture, really glowing! Take care! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not pregnant but these tips seem like very good advice indeed. I'll certainly be taking a leaf out of your book when that day comes.

    I can't wait to see your little baby :) Not long now!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful photo!
    good luck with the new born :)

    Serendipity Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. well done!
    Such a gorgeous pic too!
    x x x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments ♥

awin