Powered by Blogger.

STRIVING FOR PERFECTION

We put so much pressure on ourselves nowadays don't we. I remember before the days of social media (ok I actually remember the days before actual computers but we won't go into that) life really was a lot simpler. I mean you would cook your dinner and tuck straight in, now I'm like "hold up everyone I need a photo for insta" I mean what the hell, and then when you finally tuck in to your dinner is cold. Back in those days you would use your mobile phone to make actual phone calls and have actual conversations that no one else could read via Facebook or Twitter, its funny how we feel the need to share every aspect of our lives now isn't it and i know this post probably sounds massively hypocritical seeing as i openly share snippets of my life on my blog and I love doing it but sometimes wouldn't it be nice to just switch off from the social world from time to time. 

What i have noticed is that people generally share all the good stuff, portraying the perfect life and now there is so much pressure on having the perfect home, the perfect clothes, the perfect marriage,the perfect child, the perfect figure, the perfect hair, the perfect make up and do you know what striving for perfection is both expensive and exhausting and its a waste of money anyway because there is no such thing as perfect!!! 

I've lost count how many times I've scrolled through Instagram and thought "oh her life is perfect" or "I wish I could afford to go on holiday 5 times a year" or "why don't I have 10 Mulberry handbags"

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this blogpost. I suppose sometimes I just need reminding that people only put their best (filtered) bits on Instagram (myself included) and everyone has bad days and no ones life is perfect regardless to how it may seem in those tiny little squares. 

What I do want to do is make more of an effort to enjoy the free things in life, because the best things in life are free after all. So this Spring/Summer I'm going to make a bucket list of cheap/free things that I want to do and tick them off to prove to myself that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a happy fulfilling life and to focus on what I have already got and not what I haven't. Life doesn't have to be perfect and I'm ok with mine being ok. 

Keep Smiling
xxx

7 comments

  1. Sooooooo true!!! I'm always wanting someone else's "fabulous" life, or money or that Chanel. But like you say, what's the point. We're missing out on seeing all the great things we've actually got. Nothing is ever perfect, but if I/you look close enough, I bet our lives aren't far off!! You don't need all the money in the world to be happy!! I like this post, makes you put things into perspective a little. 😘👍🏻 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nodded all the way though reading this. I find that if I ever write a post that talks of the less than perfect I get more comments than on any other post, they're supportive and positive comments. Not that I blog just for the comments, but I think it shows that people respond to something real.

    I'm OK with being OK. OK is good, I'm working on seeing OK as my 'perfect'.

    Would love to read about your bucket list of cheap / free things to do, because they really are generally the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I think we all need to be reminded that life isn't exactly what it looks like on social media-- it's a lot more messy and complicated! Thanks for always keeping it real, on your blog and on Insta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can have all the materialistic things and all the holidays in the world but money cant buy happiness.Although sometimes a bit more money would be nice ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s I totally agreed with everything you said. We need to go back to the days of pagers and conversation on the phone. X

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you Sam. I feel pressure to be perfect and try to have a perfect life, especially after scrolling through someone else's beautiful insta feed or blog but, like you said, we need to remember that what people show are (understandably) the best bits. We can't compare our whole picture to another person's highlighted best bits. Thanks for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this ���� so so so true, I'm really trying to do the same just now and it feels good. It's amazing how social media has altered how I look at things! I'm in the process of making big changes this year! (And OMG to the pager comment ���� it made me laugh so much! ..... How old am i???) ..... So I've got my positive pants on and am being much kinder to myself, I'm trying to relax more too, you are spot on - we are all so busy now and it's impossible to be perfect! Fabulous post and just so lovely as per usual! Xxx ������

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments ♥

awin